|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 02-01-96 Rev. A|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: May 31, 1996
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 02-01-96 WITH AN EFFECTIVE DATE OF MARCH 15, 1996 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES.
Models: 1994 - 1996 (BR) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO BODY STYLE CODES 31, 32 AND 62 WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING GVW SALES CODES, Z2B, Z3A, Z7B, Z8A OR ZSB.
A special service kit has been developed for use by consumers who consistently carry a box mounted camper. The parts needed and the installation instructions are included in this Technical Service Bulletin.
1 4874669 Camper Special Service Kit (4x2)
1 4874710 Camper Special Service Kit (4x4)
This procedure applies to the installation of the rear stabilizer bar and auxiliary spring that comprise the camper special service kit.
CAUTION: THE REAR STABILIZER BAR AND AUXILIARY SPRING ARE DESIGNED TO FUNCTION TOGETHER AS A SET, DO NOT INSTALL ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER.
1. Raise and support the vehicle and axle, so that rear springs are not supporting vehicle.
2. Drain and remove fuel tank as outlined in the 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-5108), Pgs 14-20 to 14- 23.
3. Remove right (passenger) side shock upper bolt and flag nut.
4. Remove right (passenger) side shock upper bracket (4 bolts ).
5. Remove spare tire.
6. Remove rear inner wheelhouse liners, if so equipped, on both sides, as outlined in the 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-5108), Pgs 23-13 to 23-15.
7. If the vehicle already has the 3 holes for the auxiliary spring bracket, as per Figure 1, skip to step #9. Otherwise, align template for left front auxiliary spring bumper bracket hole location, with existing frame hole locations, as shown in Figure 1, mark frame location for 3 (11 mm or 7/1611 dia) holes and drill. Repeat procedure for the other side of the vehicle.
8. Align template for left rear auxiliary spring bumper bracket hole location, with existing frame hole locations, as shown in Figure 2, mark frame location for 3 (Ilmm or 7/161, dia.) holes and drill. Repeat procedure for the other side of the vehicle.
9. Install left front auxiliary spring bumper bracket (PIN 52038233) with retainer (PIN 52038359) and 3 bolts (PIN 6101223) torqued to 30 ft. lbs. as shown in figure 3. - installation for other side.
10. Install left rear auxiliary spring bumper bracket (P/N 52038233) with retainer (P/N 52038359) and 3 bolts (P/N 6101223) torqued to 30 ft. lbs., as shown in figure 4. Repeat installation for other side.
11. Install auxiliary spring bumper pads ( ensure correct orientation (Figure 5).
12. Remove the nuts and spring clamps (U bolts) that attach the spring to the axle, on one side of the vehicle (Figure 6). Dispose of spring clamps and nuts.
13. Install spacer (P/N 52038327), and auxiliary spring (P/N 52039181 for 4x2), (P/N 52039362 for 4x4), so that spring center bolt is inserted into the locating holes in the spacer and spring (Figure 7). The stamping on the undersurface of the spring, near the tip, must be installed towards the front of the vehicle.
14. Install spring seat, new spring clamps (P/N 52038965 for Dana 60 or 70 4X2), or (P/N 52018720 for Dana 80 4X2) or (P/N 52038966 for Dana 60 or 70 4X4) or (P/N 52038721 Dana 80 4X4) and retaining nuts (P/N 6502698) (Figure 8). Align auxiliary spring with the primary spring. Tighten the nuts until they force the plate flush against the axle tube. Note spacer between axle and main spring is for 4x4 only.
15. Repeat steps 12 thru 14 for the other side of the vehicle.
16. Either raise the vehicle or lower the axle supports so that the springs and tires support the vehicle. Torque the 8 spring clamp retaining nuts to 163 N.m (120 ft. lbs.)
17. Using template shown in figure 9, verify if a pair of-holes exist in the area indicated. If they do, skip to step 18. If the holes do not exist, locate and drill 2 (12.5mm or1/2"l dia) in frame (2 per side) for rear sway bar bracket.
18. Verify which sway bar bracket to install to frame, check spacing of the holes in the bracket with the holes in the frame. The bracket that has the wider spacing between holes (P/N 4856574) also has larger diameter holes and uses the 12 mm dia bolts (P/N 6101224) and nuts (P/N 6502697). The other bracket (P/N 4882025) uses 10 mm dia bolts (P/N 6101717) and nuts (P/N 6502696). Install rear sway bar bracket to frame using 2 bolts and nuts (P/N 6502696) and torque to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs) (Figure 10).
19. Install sway bar links (P/N 50238697 4x2) or (P/N 52038698 4x4) to rear sway bar brackets attached to frame, with stud pointed to outside of vehicle (Figure 11). Use bolt (P/N 11505098) and nut (P/N 6502697) and torque to 70 Nm (50 ft. lbs).
CAUTION: THE HEAD OF THE BOLT (P/N 11505098) MUST BE TOWARDS THE FUEL TANK, OTHERWISE THE BOLT MAY RUB AGAINST THE FUEL TANK.
20. Remove and dispose of the lower shock bolt and nut on both sides of the vehicle.
21. For 1996 model year vehicles and later, install studplate (P/N 52038713) in shock axle bracket. Install shock and torque to 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.), the set up will be similar to figure 14 without the rear sway bar axle bracket, then go to step 24. For Dana 60 and 70, 3.51, dia. tube go to instruction 22. For Dana 80, 41, dia. axle tube, cut off ears on both rear sway bar axle brackets (Figure 12).
22. Install rear sway bar axle bracket (P/N 4856151 4x2) or (P/N 4856150 4x4) over existing shock absorber bracket on axle with new shock bolt (P/N 6502922) and nut (P/N 6502698). On both sides, position nut to inside of vehicle (Figure 13). With shock installed torque to 135 Nm (100 ft.lbs).
CAUTION: ENSURE THAT AXLE CUT OUT AREA OF BRACKET MAKES CONTACT WITH AXLE.
23. Using existing holes in rear sway bar axle bracket, locate and drill two 10.20 mm (13/32 in) dia holes, in original shock absorber bracket, per figure 13 and repeat for other side.
24. Install mounting bolts (P/N 6101717) and nuts (P/N 6502696) into rear sway bar axle bracket and torque to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) Repeat for other bracket. Position nuts to inside of brackets (Figure 14).
25. Install sway bar (P/N 52038907 4x2) or (P/N 52039120 4x4) to links with slotted hex nut (P/N 6502748), torque to 50 Nm (35 ft. lbs.), install cotter pin (P/N 6100017) and fold over ends (Figure 11).
26. Install two bushings (P/N 52038843 4x2) or (P/N 52037548 4x4) to sway bar. The flat edges of the bushing should lie flush on the bottom edge of sway bar axle brackets. Install retainer (P/N 52087865) around bushing and attach two nuts (P/N 6502696), torque to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) (Figure 15).
27. Install right side shock bracket, and upper shock mount.
28. Install fuel tank as outlined in the 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-5108) Pgs 14-20 to 14-23, check that the left side sway bar link bolt to frame bracket does not rub.
29. Install spare tire.
30. Install rear inner wheelhouse liners, both sides as outlined in the 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-5108) Pgs 23-13 to 23-15.
POLICY: Information only
Thanks to Bob Bergevin and Barry Drodge for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004